Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I shed my inhibitions, my fears, I travelled light !!!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

Since the time I was a school kid, just going around the ‘next bend’ on my bicycle or convincing friends to take a new route to home, I have always loved the adventure of travel – the unknown, something different, something new. And I feel the same way today…even though now the ‘next bend’ could be in another city or state. Since the time I got my first job, 1 thing I was sure of doing was TRAVEL and I have been extremely lucky to continuously feed my this passion for travel. But, why do I love it so much?

I love the excitement of it all–feeling like an explorer–discovering a new land, a new cuisine, new money and all the little challenges that go along with it. When I travel, I am more spontaneous and don’t live for the future or the past…just in the moment. Being impulsive and saying ‘yes’ to nearly everything is part of the fun.

I love the rush. Like those habitual runners to whom running gives them that extra boost they need to keep going. I get the same jolt from a day of travel to a new and undiscovered land (for me…not for all mankind) that I hadn’t planned to visit. Traveling seems to give me a near constant adrenaline rush and I can say, am addicted to this feeling. Traveling can be a challenge, but for me, a fun challenge that I enjoy conquering time and time again. Plus it sure beats having to vacuum, pay bills, or shop for toilet paper.

“…so many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day, to have a new and different sun.” -Chris McCandless – “Into the Wild”

Travel broadens your mind in so many ways. You meet new people, share new experiences, and let down your guard much more than when back at home caught up in the mundane day to day routine of life that we think is normal. I get to see how the world lives. I see the sun and smiles in Goa that go way beyond to what we see in travel brochures. I learn about the differences and embrace the similarities. Just because something is different does NOT mean it is wrong and in many cases it can even be better.

I love the logistics. I like landing in a new place and trying to figure it all out at that moment. Where to get money. How to go from point A to point B. How to pack my bag right. Well, okay, maybe I don’t love that mundane task, but I still figure it’s better than all the tedious chores I left back home when I decided to travel. It all actually becomes easier and easier as it goes and gives you the sense of confidence that you can do anything. If I can plop down in an airport and manage to get myself into the heart of town and find a place to stay, all the while, not getting ripped off and keep my sense of humor, then I am certainly not really worried about being able to go anywhere, anytime.

I love the simplicity of it all.

Everything you own is with you in one bag. You only have a few pairs of pants, skirts or t-shirts, so getting dressed each day is an easy task. The more we have, the more it seems to weigh us down. Your life isn’t complicated by all the nonsense that is back home. But, guess what? If you really need a new shirt or shoes…you can buy it wherever you are, may be you can find a new style too . I enjoy some love, laughter, and happiness too…but that’s free and takes up no space in my luggage.

I love meeting new people all the time. In no other time in my life have I met so many people. The world is full of friendly, generous people. Sure, every place has its share of nitwits too, but as a traveler, you seem much less likely to meet them. Since the nature of travel is to keep moving, these folks never become boring…because you simply don’t know them long enough to discover their flaws or get sick of them.

I love the freedom. I experience a great feeling of independence from traveling. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. I can sleep in. I can stay out late. It’s all up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts