Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Chaat Flavour!!!!!


It suddenly occurred to me when I turned to my older emails this morning, that it’s been more than two months since I got back from my last vacation (from Kasol, Himachal). Over the past few weeks, I have been busy enjoying my days with my family, friends and meeting work deadlines. As I sit back today, with a glass of juice in hand, it suddenly dawned on me that I have had quite eventful and experimental vacations with relation to food. And why not, I would have had it no other way.

For a food enthusiast like me, the cuisine of a region is as much to look forward to on a trip as the popular tourist attraction. So much so, that on many short trip, I have been known to cross out a few stops on my sightseeing itinerary only to accommodate a much important trip to the local restaurant or a village visit for food and new experiences.

Of the many things that were on my must-eat list during my trip, the few that undoubtedly sought my utmost attention were those that can be found at almost every nook and corner of the city. Ask anyone who has ever walked the streets of Indian metros, be it Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore, and they will attest to the fact that no evening stroll is complete without making a stop at one of the many hawker stalls on the streets. Stall after stall and Street after street you’re greeted by pleasant smiling faces and tempting colors on the plates that urge you to come and give it a try.

Topped with spicy and tangy chutneys, yogurt and tons of other fixings, each plate creates a whole new experience in the mouth. Chaats are one of those purely addictive foods that I simply refuse to live without! Living outside the comfort of your home teaches you to adapt in ways you wouldn’t have imagined. And I am no different. Although I do miss the flavors of my favourite eateries in Lucknow but I don’t step back from trying those in different cities with their unique flavors. This is one delicacy which remains similar in look and feel but tastes different in different parts of the countries… like in Kolkata, Patna, Bhopal, Rajasthan, Himachal, Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. 
One should give it a try at various places to understand the tastes of the people of that region and trust me you will not regret!!!! 
Ooops, ok my mouth is watery now, going to grab a golgappa aka puchka aka pani puri… :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts